Wednesday, February 6, 2008

No No Smokey

Megan McArdle has a point here. In general, my opinions on so-called "sin" taxes are mixed. I understand the logic behind increasing taxes on cigarettes, however, at the same time are they really that effective? After all, if an individual is addicted to cigarettes, is a few bucks more per pack really going to curb thier nasty habit? I would think not. Consequently, not only has the "sin" tax failed reduce their cigarette intake, they are now spending an increased amount of their income on cigarettes.

This brings to mind intiatives in New York and a number of other cities that have sought to ban smoking in bars and restaurants. While I can't speak with a great deal of clarity on this topic, I would assume that there is a sizable number of people that smoke only in bars. Eventually, I would like to see some data, after these bans have been in place for a decade or so, that depicts the rate of lung cancer and emphysema in communities that have banned smoking in bars and other public places.

What do you think?

No comments: